Do you know a kid (young or old!) who is #HelmetWorthy?
What does that even mean?
If you’ve been listening to the Steel City Underground podcast (and why wouldn’t you!) you might have some idea of what I’m talking about. If not, let me explain.
Early in June, I listed a large number of signed mini-helmets up on eBay. One of our loyal listeners won several of the helmets, and immediately after winning them, he sent me the following message:
What I would like for you to do is find a kid that doesn't have the money for something like this, that isn't fortunate enough to afford to buy an autographed helmet from one of our Steelers and I want you to donate it. Please give this helmet a less fortunate kid. I know there are programs that do that for the Steelers and since I do not live in Pittsburgh, I cannot do this. Any helmet I win I will.do this, I just want to give back to the kids there and give them something they might never be able to get. Thank you.
Well, that felt pretty inspiring to us here at SCU, and since I had a few other helmets that didn’t sell, we thought, let’s make a big deal out of this!
So here is what we are going to do:
- If you want to nominate yourself, or another kid to receive one of these signed helmets you can do it in one of two ways:
- On Twitter, post a video that explains why whomever you are nominating is #HelmetWorthy.
- Make sure to include the hashtag #HelmetWorthy and address it to @steelcityundrgr (Steel City Underground) and @CannonsDontThun (me... and make sure you are following both!)
- You may post “Name of person” is #HelmetWorthy! And the video.
- If you are shy and don’t want to post a video, you can either email us at [email protected], or direct message me on Twitter.
- Get your post or email in to us on or before August 30th!
- That’s it!
We will consider every post, for kids both big and small (but we will really need to hear some convincing reasons to give helmets to kids over 18!). Our SCU panel will have final say over who gets helmets, and they will be sent out in a completely random order – we can’t get you a helmet of a specific player, but we will get you a helmet of a player or coach!
So let the posting begin, and thanks again to the kindness of one man, who thought it might be cool to make a kid smile!